[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Coin_Graham at genpt.com Coin_Graham at genpt.com
Fri Aug 8 14:19:34 UTC 2008

> > [deletia]
> >> I'm going to put the usability of MythTV to the test.  I'm somewhat
> >> familiar with linux but a power user by no means.  I'm looking to have
> >> backend/frontend system in the USA on Comcast cable.  I'd like to put
> >> together the simplest system possible.  I'm still working on the
hardware,
> >> but I'm going to use Mythbuntu for the software.  The goal is to be
able to
> >> watch and record SD and HD content.  That's it.
> >>
> >> I'll post my experience as a typical noob user.
> >
> > HD will be a problem. You will have to downscale it into something
that's
> > not an encrypted transport stream. The HD-PVR is promising but that's
by
> > no means an option for the uninitiated yet.
> >
> > I need to do some more testing on mine. I have an entirely separate
backend
> > setup for the purpose so I don't bring down my main one.
> >
> > Once you get the family hooked on Myth they get surly when it's down.
> >

> Surely he can start out with a digital tuner and get a few HD channels
> in clear QAM, directly from the wall (bypassing cable box), can't he?
> Recording unencrypted digital channels is no more difficult than SD in
> that case.

This is the plan.  I don't have/need a STB.  I've decided that I want to
use the easiest setup possible with the goal of eventually being able to
recommend it as a noob setup.  So I'm in the process now of choosing the
"most compatible" and "easiest setup" for an HD video capture card in the
US for clear QAM.  I think I'm settling on the Hauppauge HVR-1600> which
has PCI slot, ok price, and installation instructions specific to
Ubuntu/Deb.  I'll keep you guys updated.