[mythtv-users] Does anyone know who supports Mytharchive?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:39:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Craig Huff wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>>> That sounds a lot like a bug that has already been fixed. What version
>>> are you using?
>>>
>>> Paul H.
>>
>> Paul-
>>
>> Could you cite the bug(s) you're referencing and give me an idea of
>> what MythTV version they first appeared in?  I generally use what Axel
>> has in his stable RPM repository
>
> Me too. :-)
>
>> and would be most interested in giving MythArchive another try.  My
>> previous attempts either failed to even produce a DVD
>
> This can happen, particularly if the source recording is damaged or
> non-compliant in some way. I've fixed some of the 'fail to complete' bugs
> as I've found them, and I'm sure Paul's been doing the same.
>
>> or had the audio drift out of sync with the video.
>
> That sounds like an issue with your source. I've never had anything like
> that problem myself, but my source material is always DVB-T (i.e.
> MPEG-over-radio). Are you making recordings from an analogue tuner, by any
> chance?
>
>> Craig.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex.

I've never actually used mytharchive.  I see that you're in the UK.
As far as audio/video sync issues I can tell you this:  I record
(U.S.) DVB-T only (no analog), and while some can be demuxed,
converted to proper NTSC DVD formats, and remuxed without an
issue...many (if not most) of the shows I record simply defy keeping
audio sync when converted to DVD _unless_ I demux initially with
projectx.  Often towards the end of a one hour show they get one or
two seconds out of sync.  Even if I use mythtranscode with the --mpeg2
option first it doesn't help.  After reading suggestions here
regarding projectx I finally tried it, and it's the only thing I've
found that can reliably prevent these sync issues.

As a matter of fact, I recently wrote a (rather limited but effective)
perl script I've been using to create NTSC DVDs from my DVB-T
recordings using projectx, mencoder, tcmplex-panteltje, and dvdauthor
that's been working really great for me.  I was going to post it to
the list in the near future in case someone else might find it useful.

All I can say is that, if recent versions of mytharchive can deal with
U.S. DVB-T to DVD conversions reliably without these sync issues, I'd
like to hear about it...because other stuff I've tried to do without
projectx (transcode etc) simply can't seem to deal with the sync
correctly.

I suppose issues like this may vary depending on local affiliates etc,
specifically where you happen to be located.  I'm in NJ and pick up
New York broadcasts.  Maybe if you happen to always get flawless
reception these problems don't occur...but I'd think that rare for us
antenna users.

Tom