[mythtv-users] Help! New Frontend box cannot connect to master backend in setup.

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Aug 8 16:07:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>> My Mythbuntu 8.04 machine works great.  I decided to add a frontend so my
>> wife can watch from the bedroom.  I am trying to use Mythbuntu 8.04.1 for
>> that.
>>
>> I googled the two error messages I have gotten in the three install
>> attempts I have made.  Installing as a frontend only, I get "Connection
>> Results:  Failure" at the MySQL screen when I test the connection.  I then
>> tried a simple combined install and then deleted the backend and got a
>> message "Cannot login to database"  even after entering the IP and password
>> of the backend.
>>
>> In the mySQL screen, I entered 192.168.1.111, the IP address of the
>> backend.
>> For password, I entered the password from the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file
>> of cdRN8CXD.
>> I can both ping and connect to mythweb from this would-be frontend so I
>> know the connection is good.
>>
>> I checked the Host Address Backend Setup on the main myth box.  I tried
>> both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.111 as the IP addresses in both spots.  The
>> security pin is set to 0000 which should allow anyone to connect.
>>  Everything else looks like it does in the installation manual.
>>
>> I am stuck, out of ideas.  This can't be this hard as I know lots of
>> people do this.
>>

> Have you tried on the backend using the Applications->System->Mythbuntu
> Control Center. Look on the System Services page to see if the MySQL Service
> is Enabled which allows the DB to accept connections remotely. If it's
> Disabled try Enabling it and then clicking the Apply button. I don't
> remember if you have to restart MySQL after doing this.
>
> John

This was a huge help, Thanks!!!

I can now access the mysql database from the new frontend.  I can also
watch recordings and play live TV.  That is great.

However, I cannot play music or videos.  I can see the titles, but
when I try and play I get a message about failure to open.   I think I
need to enable NTFS on the backend and will try that later today.

The other problem is that XvMC locks up X.  I can play recordings on
SLIM but not on CPU--, for example.  Don't know what is going on
there.

I am thinking of going back to Mythbuntu 8.04 for the new frontend.
8.04.1 is doing some other strange things so perhaps it has problems.

Allen