[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 21:56:49 UTC 2008

> Very good point indeed. That is the same rationale I use with clients
> that ask if it wouldn't be cheaper to just use WiFI rather than run Cat6
> to key locations.
>
> However, the original poster wants to ease into automation for just his
> home theater. The simplest scenario is to replace the existing light
> switch on the wall with another device. I've never sold a Spacer but
> installed a few for clients and integrated them into their control
> systems quite successfully.
>
> Of course there will be times when the setting sun through a west facing
> window creates interference with an IR system and plasmas are known to
> wreak havoc as well. I've completed exactly one RadioRA install for a
> project another contractor abandoned and was less than thrilled with the
> RF experience and haven't tried any other since. The Control4/ZigBee
> solution looks amazing but keep in mind that the C4 principals tried
> this nearly two decades ago (Phast) and ended up abandoning every
> customer and integrator. I've yet to see any other consumer application
> for ZigBee devices so I'm not holding my breath.
>
> On the other hand, a well planned IR solution can be made rock solid. A
> Graphic Eye controller for the home theater environment can work
> flawlessly when the IR emitter is concealed behind the unit on the right
> side. This would be /inside/ the required four gang masonry work box and
>  National Electric Code now allows for the limited use of low voltage
> wiring inside a high voltage box just for this type of situation.
>
> The problem with integrating the Graphic Eye and much more so the larger
> centralized systems is that every lighting load needs to be run directly
> to the controller. Most homes are not wired this way and retrofitting is
> likely out of the question. If someone had that kind of disposable
> income to re-wire the entire home, they'd do well to consider just
> building a new home. If not, the RadioRA begins to look attractive.
>
> That said, there are many ways to skin a cat. The question is, how many
> scratches and bites is the OP willing to tolerate?
>
> The Spacer jumped to my mind immediately simply because the labor
> required to achieve the desired goal is the bare minimum and the cost is
> right alongside the X10 device and controller combination.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> mw

Mw,

Thanks for the reply, and keeping the list on topic.  yes I am looking
for something simple/inexpensive.  Right now I am in a Townhome which
i rent.  I was researching X10 as i could control the ~5 lights/lamps
in my theater for about $50 and just changing the two switches and
pluggin the lamp controllers in to the wall.

Is X10 really that bad?  It seems like the only thing that is really
supported in linux.  I dont want to spend $100 or $1000's of dollars
on controllers and new wiring extra.  I would like to experiment with
a wall switch and a lamp switch for now.  Then, in a year or so when I
buy my house I want to go all out.  With that said, I dont want to by
crap now that is just going to be a headache.  But, yes I want to
"ease" into it.  So with what I start with is the same system I am
expanding ~5 years from now.   If there is no real solutions I
completely understand.

Thanks,
Mitchell