[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Aug 8 23:49:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:30:44 -0400, Jerry Rubinow wrote
> The purpose of O2K7 was to fix its usability problems, from what I understand, and I think they made good strides in doing that.

I think the complaints over the O2K7 interface are a temporary thing, and eventually will die down, actually.  People are always resistant to change, whether it's good or bad.  (See also the thread about what happened when someone tried to clean up mythtvsetup.)

I remember when we were deploying Windows 95 at a bank I was interning with.  Everyone in the office hated the new interface.  They were used to the Windows 3.11 Program Manager.  They didn't like this weird "Start Button" thing.  They didn't want to learn something new.  Within a couple years, though, no one was complaining anymore; and pretty soon every Linux distribution was chasing Microsoft's taillights, clamoring to add some kind of Start Button work-alike to their desktop.  Today it's the UI standard for everything except MacOS.