[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

Mark (home) fairlane at springcom.com
Sat Aug 9 00:17:44 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 05:56 pm, Mitch Gore wrote:

> Mw,
>
> Thanks for the reply, and keeping the list on topic.  yes I am looking
> for something simple/inexpensive.  Right now I am in a Townhome which
> i rent.  I was researching X10 as i could control the ~5 lights/lamps
> in my theater for about $50 and just changing the two switches and
> pluggin the lamp controllers in to the wall.
>
> Is X10 really that bad?  It seems like the only thing that is really
> supported in linux.  I dont want to spend $100 or $1000's of dollars
> on controllers and new wiring extra.  I would like to experiment with
> a wall switch and a lamp switch for now.  Then, in a year or so when I
> buy my house I want to go all out.  With that said, I dont want to by
> crap now that is just going to be a headache.  But, yes I want to
> "ease" into it.  So with what I start with is the same system I am
> expanding ~5 years from now.   If there is no real solutions I
> completely understand.
>
> Thanks,
> Mitchell

Ok, sorry for going off-topic.  X10 can be really fussy depending on what else
you have on your power lines.  I strongly suggest you go hang out at
www.cocoontech.com for a while and read up.  Look for "signal suckers" and
X10 comments.  If you rent, you may not have access to your electric panel
and/or your landlord may not like you messing about with it.  Sometimes
depending on your setup, you might have to add a phase bridge so the
powerline signals can jump from one phase to the other (and yes I know that
it's not really a true different phase, just two legs of the same phase, in
case any EE's are reading... :)  )
If you are doing all this in a single room, I'd be looking at some of the IR
solutions out there.  Also, check in with Automation Outlet, those guys are
very helpful and know their stuff.

Good luck.