[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Sat Aug 9 03:13:03 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mitch Gore
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 5:57 PM
To: meatwad2021 at gmail.com; Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

> Is X10 really that bad?

It either works wonderfully, or it's a Royal PITA. Or it can work
wonderfully, and then something in the house changes, and it becomes a pain.
For example - I have a light in my bedroom. I have HomeSeer programmed to
turn it on at 5:50am weekdays to waken me. It worked fine for about 6
months. Then something changed in the house, and it stopped working for a
few weeks. Then it started working again for about 18 months. Now it's back
to not working. And I don't really know what's changed. I've added a couple
of filters round the house, but they made no change. All the other X10 stuff
in the house is working fine.

So, I'm planning to add some more filters to things like the TV, my CPAP
machine etc. I'm also going to convert the problem light, and another I
occasionally have issues with over to Z-Wave (I picked up some light modules
recently).

But if you're dipping your toe into automation, X10 is a cheap way to do it,
and it generally works well. And once you start with a couple of lights....
well, you generally don't stop with just a couple..:) I'm going to replace
all my wall recepticles with X10 enabled ones. Most of the light switches
are going to be converted too.

And once I've got it all working, I'll probably slowly start to replace it
all with Z-Wave, which is generally about 10x the cost, and more reliable
(but still not 100% - as ever anything is).

> Thanks,
> Mitchell

Graham Mitchell