[mythtv-users] Stream Errors

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 10:16:43 UTC 2008

On 09/08/2008, Paul Manning <paul_manning22 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The key thing I think is' something to do with MythTV and the way it handles
> LiveTV.  When I sheduled TV to record, it's perfect every time!  LiveTV,
> stream errors. You know, the glitchy screen, the pops and squeaks through
> the audio.  It drives me insane!  Now I've done a lot of research on this,
> and I know everyone is going to say, "It's not MythTV because....blah".  But
> why does recorded TV never have a problem then?  Are there any other TV apps
> for linux I can try to isolate whether it is definitely a Myth issue or it
> really is something to do with my card?

If recordings are OK, and LiveTV is not, it could be that LiveTV is
using the second tuner by default (which may have a worse signal than
the first tuner) resulting in the recording glitches you are seeing.
This will happen if you have the option enabled to try to avoid
conflicts between recordings and LiveTV.

Does this happen on all channels when watching Live TV?

Testing recordings:

If you can record two channels at the same time on different
multiplexes without any problems, then this isn't the issue. Try as
many different combination of multiplexes, and some may well have
lower signal levels than others.

Testing LiveTV:

In a LiveTV session, change to the other DVB input (if you have
multirec enabled, an input on the other physical tuner) and see if the
reception improves at all.

You also need to let us know which kernel/firmware you are using for
the Nova-T 500 in case we can see a potential issue there, and whether
you see any syslog errors during LiveTV.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: