[mythtv-users] Does anyone know who supports Mytharchive?

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Aug 9 17:28:04 UTC 2008

Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> We also have to insert the
>> NAV packets that DVDs require and as far as I know the only way to do
>> that is to split the streams then use mplex to remux them back together
>> inserting the NAV packets along the way.
>>

> Both mencoder (-mpegopts format=dvd) and mythtranscode (-e dvd) can
> insert NAV packets without splitting.
>
> Bolek

I believe mythtranscode still has the problem of not being able to
choose the audio track(s) we need and a problem with the audio tracks
sometimes randomly swapping places. Also to be DVD compliant at least in
the US the mp2 tracks need to be re-encoded to ac3 which the lossless
encoder in mythtranscode  cannot currently do. The first two problems
should be easily fixed but the last one isn't so easy.

Not tried mencoder so not sure if that would work adding another
dependency isn't ideal but if it can can be made to work I don't think
anyone will complain. Simply being able to create a DVD compliant file
isn't enough though we need to be able to have it cut the commercials,
remove the streams we are not interested in, allow us to choose the
audio stream(s) we need, re-encode the audio and/or video to make it DVD
compliant and at the end have good audio sync.

I don't think there is a single tool that does all we need. ffmpeg is
pretty close if it can in fact produce DVD compliant files with NAV
packets. The only thing it cannot do is the commercial cutting. We could
use mythtranscode in it's fifo mode to do the cutting and pass the raw
streams to ffmpeg to produce the final DVD compliant file but that would
be slow because every file would need to be re-encoded even if it was
already DVD compliant.  The script already does something similar  for
NUV files.

One thing I like about the way it currently works is I can produce a DVD
in less than a half hour because I record everything with a  DVD
friendly format.

Paul H.