[mythtv-users] Dual monitors, mythfrontend, aspect ratio

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Aug 10 07:12:16 UTC 2008

I use dual monitors on my desktop and depending on the situation will have
mythfrontend playing on the left or right monitor (left is an LCD
widescreen, right is a CRT 4:3). Now typically I was having to go into Setup
> Appearance and on page 2 I can change the Xinerama screen to either 0 or 1
and the Monitor Aspect Ratio to 16:9, 16:10 or 4:3. If I wanted to watch
stuff on the LCD, I'd go here and choose Xinerama screen 0 and aspect ratio
16:10. If I wanted it playing on the CRT, of course Xinerama screen 1 and
ratio 4:3.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to make a shortcut to do this. I use
fluxbox and have shortcuts set up just fine to open mythfrontend on either
screen:

"Mod4 R :ExecCommand mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1200+0+0" (opens on LCD)
and
"Mod4 T :ExecCommand mythfrontend -geometry 1600x1200+1920+0" (opens on CRT)

However, the aspect ratio is left to what I last set it, so if I hit Mod4 R
to open it on the LCD but the aspect ratio I last set was 4:3,  I still have
to go back into Setup > Appearance, rendering the shortcut rather pointless.

Is there a way to set the aspect ratio of Setup > Appearance from command
line with mythfrontend or even set some keybinding for it??

Thanks for any help,
Bob