[mythtv-users] Freesat

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Aug 10 10:30:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 11:20 +0100, Roger Fletcher wrote:

> I have a mythbuntu box that i am running that is Freeview.  My dad is
> interested in a similar box, but the issue is, he lives in an area
> that
> has poor freeview reception.
>
> Is it possible to view the freesat equivalent?  If so what card is
> required?

Freesat is DVB-S. You will need a DVB-S card.

I have a box tunning DVB-T (Freeview) and DVB-S (not on Freesat, I'm
looking for French channels, but it's the same concept and technology).

http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

> I am currently thinking about the Hauppage Wintv Nova-S2 card.  But i
> am
> finding useful info on this card hard to pin down.

DVB-S2 is AFAIK still a bit shaky, as it does also DVB-S, so you would
need something like the multiprotocol branch of the linux-dvb drivers.
It is not mainline at all, and I thing that MythTV also needs patches to
work with that.

> The Hauppage website mentions record and watch, my question is does
> this
> card have a twin tuner type arrangement in it so you can record AND
> watch at the same time, or does it mean record OR watch.

Well, it's still DVB, meaning that TV channels are multiplexed withing
frequencies.

Think multirec in MythTV terms.

Finally, DVB-S usually has crap EPG, so you will need to play with
XMLTV.

Nico