[mythtv-users] Freesat

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 10:34:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Roger Fletcher
<rogerfletcher at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a mythbuntu box that i am running that is Freeview.  My dad is
> interested in a similar box, but the issue is, he lives in an area that
> has poor freeview reception.
>
> Is it possible to view the freesat equivalent?  If so what card is
> required?

There are very skight differences between the DVB-S and DVB-T freeview
offereings, but  not much.

Get a DVB-S not S2 card. In fact get a Technotrent S-1401 from
http://nicegear.co.nz/dvb-cards/ - the vendor is a supporter of mythtv
in nz, support him

> I am currently thinking about the Hauppage Wintv Nova-S2 card.  But i am
> finding useful info on this card hard to pin down.

see above

> The Hauppage website mentions record and watch, my question is does this
> card have a twin tuner type arrangement in it so you can record AND
> watch at the same time, or does it mean record OR watch.

with mythtv you can record as many  channels as there are  on a
multiplex from one card. There are two satellite multiplexes  so with
two cards you could record every freeview channel at once.

> Sorry for all the daft questions, any help or pointers in the right
> direction would be most appreciated.

join the mythtvnz  mailing list.