[mythtv-users] Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 12:10:12 UTC 2008

Hi

2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen at gmail.com>:

> I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can not
> get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend that is
> located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems with the actual
> video playback yet though...

I have instally Mythbuntu 32bits in place of Fedora 9 x64, and the
picture quality is now amazing ... now more refresh issue and this is
with the stock configuration, didn't play with the settings at all.

In MythTV, did you set the default output to be: ALSA:spdif for the
pass-through device?

Could you report the result of the command aplay -l

mine show this:
avenardj at mythliving:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I haven't tried to set up digital output on my mac mini
however I have it running on the PC in my cinema room running CentOS 5.2
now it works automatically, with just the ALSAI:spdif configuration in mythtv

However, earlier on I had to configure the ~/.asoundrc file
Here is a copy of my file:
http://www.hydrix.com/mythtv/.asoundrc
the only thing you would have to change is:

pcm.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 4
}
with whatever is reported by aplay -l
here I have device 4
because it reports on the machine:
[mythtv at htpc ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

the mini here report that it should be device 1, so change it for:
pcm.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

But my guess is that ALSA:spdif should be sufficient to get it working

Play also with alsamixer, sometimes it weird, you need to toggle the
mute on/off a few times before it starts working, same, try to reduce
the volume level to 0 ...

Jean-Yves