[mythtv-users] Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Aug 10 15:11:04 UTC 2008

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008 17:38:09 Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
>> my system I did the following:
>> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
>> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
>> 3) Sound ALSA:default
>> 4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
>> 5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
>> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
>>

>> In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
>> you are dead.  The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
>> work great.
>
> I haven't tried #1 yet, will give it a try and see if it makes any difference.
>
> I had it set to 5.1 and when I set it to Stereo at least I got a lot of black
> NOISE, at least I got some sound for a change...

You are making progress!  The 5.1 setting is broken so that has to be
set to stereo and, as the documentation says, you still get 5.1 even
though it says stereo.

You are getting noise out.  I assume this is digital noise going out the
analog output.  When that happened to me, it was because I had the
output setting to digital.  If you are in fact trying to get analog
audio out, you should set myth to ALSA:default and make sure that ALSA
is not set up for a digital output as the default.  Like I said, the
easiest way to do that is to remove the config files.

Allen