[mythtv-users] Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Aug 10 15:13:45 UTC 2008

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008 04:56:16 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen at gmail.com>:
>>> I'm running mythbuntu (linux) with Myth version 0.21-fixes.
>> How do you find the playback quality?
>>
>> I was first running CentOS 5.2, but the intel video drive was very
>> unstable and I would get X crashing very often, actually not crashing
>> per se but the screen would turn black and the only way to get a
>> picture would be to reboot again.
>>
>> Now running Fedora 9, however the video playback isn't 100% smooth.
>> Even though the CPU usage never goes over 45% when playing 1080i DVB-T
>> material, you can see the refresh line in fast moving scene.....
>> The same thing happen with both Myth and playing videos with mplayer.
>>
>> Running Linux 64 bits version...
>>
>> Are you experiencing similar issues? if not, could you post your setup ?
>
> I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can not
> get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend that is
> located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems with the actual
> video playback yet though...

 From an earlier post, try this:

1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
3) Sound ALSA:default
4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
5) check Stereo (not 5.1).  You will still get 5.1 with it set to
stereo, the 5.1 setting is broken and this is documented, btw, in the
install manual.
6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer

Allen