[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Aug 10 17:16:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 01:11:09PM -0400, Matt S. wrote:
> The myth development team, by it's nature of volunteerism, can't focus
> on "usability" until a usability expert volunteers their resources -
> for free.

The question, on FOSS projects, is not usually "has someone volunteered
this work for free", it's "are we going to listen to the, regardless".

And the answer is usually "no", except on projects of the scale of,
say, KDE (4.0 notwithstanding :-) or Gnome.

> what's best.  Since when did constructive criticism and introspection
> hurt anything?

Ask a FOSS developer.

I've seen lots of them be totally uninterested in "constructive
criticism" where "we look forward to your patch" constitutes
disinterest, in this context.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.