[mythtv-users] Save recording on DVD?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 22:19:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Aaron Klein <klein.aaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its possible to get the 4+ hours onto a DVD as they likly had a fair
> number of comercial breaks.  You will either need to do a fair amount
> of compresion to fit on a single sided 4.7GB disk or less if you go
> with the more expensive double layer DVD.  Myth has a great plug in
> called mytharchive.  If you go there and select to archive a recording
> and then to create a DVD you will be presented with some windows.  You
> can select your recording you want to archive being the olympic
> opening ceremony.  You can then select the compression level.  If you
> want to try a single layer disk then set it to EP or what ever the
> longest play setting is.  Then you can select from a DVD menu format.
> For example I like the auto play as it will just start playing the
> file with no menus.  Part of the process is also selectingif you want
> to create an ISO or burn to DVD.  If you have a DVD burner in your
> system then you could chose that option.  I dont so I select ISO and
> then ftp the file over to a windows system for the acutal burning.
>
> Prior to doing this you should mark the ad breaks and if you do this
> then mytharchive will have an option to honor the cut list so your
> 4hour 30 min recording will be less than 4 hours after cutting out the
>
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My wife is asking if it's possible to save a recording of the Olympics
>> opening ceremonies on DVD. Is there some simple way to do this?
>>
>> SD recording file from a PVR-150/250 which is currently about 10GB so
>> I suspect it's too large for a single DVD.
>>
>> I know *nothing* about changing file formats, etc., so it would be
>> great if there was a web page that explains this in a simple way.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Aaron, Rod & Bobby,
   Thanks for the info. It's really helpful. I've emerged both
mytharchive and devede so I can try them both.

   As for this specific program the recording is about 5 hours but the
ceremony wasn't anywhere near that long. There was commercial
detection done but I've not reviewed it for accuracy. However from
this thread it seems that you are telling me that I can edit how Myth
sees the commercials? Essentially put in my own commercial breaks? And
then mytharchive can write to the DVD leaving out the commercial data?
If so I'd think I might get the part my wife wants - just the fancy
Hollywood stuff and not the entry of the athletes, under 2 hours and
onto a single DVD.

   I guess I'll need to learn about hand editing commercial breaks? Is
this difficult or error prone?

thanks,
Mark