[mythtv-users] MythWeather

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 11 00:18:39 UTC 2008

On Aug 10, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Back to that usability thing.  A bit of playing around shows that only
> the city name is valid.  Adding the state results in zero locations
> found.  While other weather Web sites can give the nearest NWS station
> data for your locale, this program doesn't seem able to so one needs
> know the nearest NWS reporting station to get results.

I understand what you're saying, but the plugin just isn't that
sophisticated. It has a very simple search method that allows you to
look through whatever data it is given to determine a match. There's
no data that mythweather is given to say that when you search for
Portland, it should return Oregon maps. Maybe Maine maps as well? As
well as pacific northwest maps? Or maybe northeast severe weather
maps? See my point? There is MUCH more logic that would have to go
into that sort of feature than it first appears. No one has deemed it
time well spent to put that amount of "thinking" into search results
for weather information - especially when it takes a few seconds to
bring back everything and figure out for yourself what you should be
searching for in that group of weather information/