[mythtv-users] Corrupted recordings fixed temporarily by reboot

Andy Norris bk-myth at usrlocalsbin.com
Mon Aug 11 00:30:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a PcHDTV 5500 running on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard.  The
kernel is 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.centos.plus.  I'm running mythtv from
atrpms, and every package is up to date.  I was wondering if anyone had
experienced the following before:

Off a fresh system boot mythtv records crystal clear ATSC.  After 1-3
recordings it starts getting corrupted.  Even if the shows are back to
back on the same channel one recording will be clear and the first frame
of the next will display errors.  The errors seem to continue until the
next reboot of the machine.

A small bit of the decoder spew from one such recording:

2008-07-25 21:54:46.157 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]slice mismatch
2008-07-25 21:54:46.158 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]mb incr damaged
2008-07-25 21:54:46.159 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]mb incr damaged
2008-07-25 21:54:46.159 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]invalid mb type in B Frame at 19 8
2008-07-25 21:54:46.160 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]ac-tex damaged at 6 9
2008-07-25 21:54:46.165 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]ac-tex damaged at 4 10
2008-07-25 21:54:46.176 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]ac-tex damaged at 30 11
2008-07-25 21:54:46.184 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]invalid cbp at 49 12
2008-07-25 21:54:46.185 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]ac-tex damaged at 26 13
2008-07-25 21:54:46.187 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]slice mismatch
2008-07-25 21:54:46.188 [mpeg2video @ 0x2b1b0df27560]ac-tex damaged at 15 15

One thing I notice when watching the recordings is that the artifacts
seem to have a rhythm as if something was out of sync.  The card has its
own irq and there are no errors in the kernel logs.  I've tried
increasing the pci latency, setting the dvb card in both 'open on use'
and 'keep device open' mode, and a few other things that I can't
remember right now.

I'm still unsure if this is a problem with my motherboard, the os, or
mythbackend.  If anyone has any ideas/hints they'd be greatly
appreciated.

--
Andy Norris