[mythtv-users] Removing Commercials

Rick Steeves mythtv at corwyn.net
Mon Aug 11 00:37:52 UTC 2008

Ok, I'm getting a lot closer. First, I (following one suggestion)
made the job remoevcommercials "%DIR%" "%FILE%"   (adding the quotes
around dir and file)

Next, following another suggestion I watched the
/var/log/mythbackend.log, and I was getting database permission
errors because I had a root password in mysql. I modified the script
at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Script_-_RemoveCommercials
from:
cat << EOF | mysql mythconverg
cat << EOF | mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

to not get errors when updating the database by using the mythtv
account and password.

But now I've got something REALLY weird. I'm running a PVR 350, and
normally I view the video through the TV - Out using a local front
end to drive things and things work fine, and I listen to the shows
on a nearby TV using the PVR 350s composite video/sound. HOWEVER,
once the removecommercials job runs on a show, it no longer feeds out
to the TV - instead it plays on the computer monitor and audio is out
the local sound.

Shows I haven't run that job against still feed out the composite of
the PVR 350 to the TV.

If I play the show from my remote front end (which doesn't support
commercial flagging and thus why I want to remove commercials in the
first place)  (from my media mvp front end)  all I get is a blank
screen. No audio - no video.

I can't help but think the two effects are related.   Transcoding?
Can someone help? I haven't made any changes to much of any of the
default myth settings.

thanks

rick
(on the bright side, the video IS missing the commercials, and went
from 2.2GB to 1.4 GB, which is about right)