[mythtv-users] Suspend on 2.6.26 kernel??

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Mon Aug 11 04:47:20 UTC 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux suspending (either to disk or
> > ram),
> > but I've been trying on a recently built machine.  It contains a new
> > Gigabyte
> > GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard and Athlon X2-4850 cpu.
> >
> > When I first built the machine, the suspend was looking very promising on
> > 2.6.25, but there was a fatal flaw when resume from RAM where the network
> > would be dead;
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/336828?search_string=m
> >alformed;#336828 which I got no responses from but got a few clues on
> > LinuxQuestions.  I was
> > also waiting for the 2.6.26 kernel to arrive, hoping it would help.
> > Using the s2ram --force command, the machine on 2.6.25 would go down
> > correctly and
> > restart (even from a X session) with everything working except network.
>
> Any reason you can't use 2.6.25 and add a "/etc/init.d/network restart" to
> the recover script?
>
> Its been a while since I played with suspend but I recall that its done by
> a script that effectively stops in the middle at which point the system
> should be suspended - just add extra stop/start network commands about
> that suspend point.

I tried numerous attempts to stop the network, even unload the modules,
nothing worked.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, the packets actually
arrive, but are malformed.  It may be a BIOS issue, I have updated the BIOS
one step since running the test on 2.6.25, maybe I'll try that, but I'm
really puzzled how 2.6.26 is so big of backstep, or at least seems so when it
was touted as fixing many issues...  Makes me think I'm doing something
wrong.

Brian