[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Channel Change Permission Denied

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 11 17:28:48 UTC 2008

I just moved over to Mythbuntu and I've figured out everything except
this one last problem.

I change channels with serial connections to my 2 DirecTV boxes. 1 on
the serial port (works great) and 1 on the USB port (works great from
the command line, permission issues when issued from the backend).

Here's the command I use on the one that doesn't work:
/usr/local/bin/d11channel.pl box_type D11 port ttyUSB0

Here are my permissions:
bderman at mythtv:/dev$ ls -l | grep USB
crw-rw----  1 root   dialout 188,   0 2008-08-11 10:19 ttyUSB0

Here's what I get in the backend log:
Could not open ttyUSB0: Permission denied

mythbackend is running as the mythtv user
I can log in as my user (bderman) and issue:
/usr/local/bin/d11channel.pl box_type D11 port ttyUSB0 11

and it will change to channel 11.

Also, if I chown mythtv.mythtv /dev/ttyUSB0 I get the same error from
the backend, but working correctly from my user from the command line.
Same thing if I chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0. In all cases it works ok from
the command line and I get a permission error in the backend.

Also note this was all working ok in Fedora 8. Any help is appreciated.

-Brad