[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Mon Aug 11 20:20:13 UTC 2008

Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > I'm upgrading my backend /frontend combination and my new configuration consists of an Intel motherboard w/ 1066MHz bus and an Intel Core2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz) processor.
> >
> > The onboard Intel video is definitely not cutting it.  I have a PCI express slot that I can use.
> >
> > Obviously I'm still trying to keep prices down but I also need quality, so what's the lowest series of Nvidia card that I could get to have a good HD picture without using XvMC?  Also, how much memory should the card have?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Brian

<snip>

> I'm surprised you haven't been happy with the on board Intel video.  Its
> been getting good reviews as of late around here.
>
> Jon

Well, perhaps I'm not tweaking the driver properly, but last night I was trying to watch the Olympics while recording (normal behavior for myth when watching liveTV) in HD and it was choppy.  Now I'll agree that could be other things.

But even watching SD content from Dish Network resulted in "tearing" (guess that's what it's called)" in high motion scenes.  I *never* saw that with my old system which was extremely under-powered: (first gen 2.0GHz single core, not even HT on a 450MHz bus and Nvidia 5200).

In general I've come to feel that the best support seems to be on the Nvidia cards.

I'd welcome correction or tips for the Intel driver if others have had good success!

Thanks,
Brian