[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 11 21:22:46 UTC 2008

Chris Porter wrote:

> There is a good discussion here
> http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html   on setting optimal
> bitrates for differing video standards. Full D1 is DVD quality video. I used
> Full D1 as a base for my High Quality and Live TV and worked my way down from
> there.

I was looking for that page, seems you found it before me.

Note that after a certain point nothing is gained by increasing the
bitrate, the trick is to find "that point".

That chart seems to assume pretty perfect input video, something rarely
encountered in the real world, especially with analog RF input.

I do notice that recordings made from the baseband inputs to my PVR-150s
from a satellite receiver look much better than the ones made with an
analog cable RF input.

beww