[mythtv-users] How to properly adjust brightness and contrast

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Mon Aug 11 21:31:55 UTC 2008

* Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> [2008 Aug 11 08:49 -0500]:

> > ISTR, if you have a "THX Certified" DVD (One on this list:
> > http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/search.html), you can use the included "THX
> > Optimizer" to tweak your settings. It's not perfect, and certainly not
> > theatre-grade, but it will ensure your picture is mostly accurate.
> >

> The OP and myself are having issues with the settings in the PVR-150 tuner,
> not with our TV. Everything looks fine on my TV from sources other than the
> PVR-150. It is the brightness, contrast, color settings of the tuner itself
> that are off. The only way to adjust them is to do so while that tuner is
> recording. Is there someway to route a DVD to the coax input on the PVR-150?
> If I route the DVD player through the svideo input on my PVR-150, and adjust
> that will those settings apply to the coax input also? It seems like they
> wouldn't because they would be setup as different inputs in MythTV.

I'm using the PVR-150 as well fed from my satellite STB S-Video out to
its S-Video in and the color balance is good.  However, it was the
TV-out signal from the S-Video output that was dark and off color.  I
figured that out by using Twinview and watching the video on a monitor
from the VGA port.  I've since added an Averkey iMicro which gets me a
good picture, but seems to dither the color and doesn't keep up with
full motion video well.

So, can you verify the recording is wrong when viewing it on a known
good monitor via the VGA port?  BTW, I have all of the recording color
balance settings at the Mythbuntu defaults of 50%.

- Nate >>