[mythtv-users] Stream Errors

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 11 22:07:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:05:58AM -0700, Paul Manning wrote:
> The key thing I think is' something to do with MythTV and the way it
> handles LiveTV.  When I sheduled TV to record, it's perfect every
> time!  LiveTV, stream errors. You know, the glitchy screen, the pops
> and squeaks through the audio.  It drives me insane!  Now I've done a
> lot of research on this, and I know everyone is going to say, "It's
> not MythTV because....blah".  But why does recorded TV never have a
> problem then?  Are there any other TV apps for linux I can try to
> isolate whether it is definitely a Myth issue or it really is
> something to do with my card?

As for other applications, I'd suggest mplayer. Make sure mythbackend
isn't running and try out mplayer on the channels you're experiencing
the issues with, iterating through all your tuner cards.
$ mplayer "dvb://1@Channel Name"
for the first tuner...

Also, I was experiencing behaviour very similar to this on a split
frontend/backend system. I fixed it by telling MythFrontend to always
stream data from the backend process, rather than reading it over NFS.
There's an option in TV Playback somewhere, I think.

Good luck! :)

---

James