[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Channel Change Permission Denied

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 12 04:29:49 UTC 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2008/8/12 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
>> So instead of sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 I tried sudo chmod 666 /
>> dev/
>> ttyUSB0 and suddenly the mythtv user had permission to use the
>> device. ??? Whatever. I just hope the box *never* reboots. ;)
>
> simply modify/create a udev rule which will set the permission
> properly when the device is initialised.
>
> Or more easily, add to /etc/rc.local
> chown root:video /dev/ttyUSB*
> chmod ug+rw /dev/ttyUSB*
>
> and add whatever user you're using to run mythmbackend to the video
> group

Yeah, I did the udev thing. Still no good.

# USB serial converters
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GOTO="usb_serial_start"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GOTO="usb_serial_start"
GOTO="usb_serial_end"
LABEL="usb_serial_start"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", \
					MODE="0666", GROUP="mythtv"

Still came up as root/dialup permissions. I've fought and fought with
similar rules for my two video devices. Often they work, sometimes
they don't. Depends on how lucky I am on the reboot.

Again, setting ownership to mythtv didn't help at first, then all of a
sudden did. Gremlins.