[mythtv-users] (newbie) TV guide sources - xmltv && embedded ?

John Payne mythtv at payne.ch
Tue Aug 12 05:28:23 UTC 2008

Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If someone could give me a few pointers for further reading on this
> problem I have
> that would be great -
>
> I have a DVB-C card, running under Mythbuntu, and although I'm still
> learning lots
> of stuff, there's one thing that's got me stumped.
>
> In Switzerland on my (FTA) cable we get lots of European channels,
> German, French,
> Turkish, English, etc. etc.  And for the most part, MythTV is able to
> pull the
> channel guide out of the stream, and the program guide works fine.
>
> However for some channels, there is no program information embedded in
> the signal,
> for example BBC - you basically only get the current program's info.
>
> I would like to mix the embedded program guide with extra information
> from XMLTV.
> I have XMLTV setup for BBC, but I can't work out how to mix the two
> sources of
> information together into the database.
>
> I set the xmltv source IDs in the channel editor, but they don't seem to
> get used.
> I also tried to make a separate group that would use the XMLTV channel
> information,
> but I could not associate it with the (single) DVB card.
>
> Can someone please give me some pointer for further reading.
>
> thanks,
> -MythNoob.

I sent this answer yesterday but unfortunately to the wrong message
..... :-[

I had a similar problem (also in Switzerland) with analog cable & DVB-T. I
couldn't cover all channels with one source but solved the problem by
writing a simple
perl script using the XMLTV parsefile function to join 2 XMLTV files
together. Seems to
work - mythfilldataabse throws some warnings but I think they're due to
the source data
and not the merge operation.
I'm not at home at the moment but I could send/post the script this
evening with some
comments if you want to give it a try?

John