[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 10:31:56 UTC 2008

I have done extensive testing of PVR-150 et al settings in the interests of
better quality. I can confidently say that you should run it at 6MBPS
avg/8MBPS peak for 720x480 capture. Any less and motion artifact gets bad.
Any more and no improvement can be noted. The best way to test this is to
watch the crawl line on CNN et al followed by some sports like basketball.

Quite frankly encoder quality for Myth sucks compared to Tivo or STB DVR
appliances. It is Myth's biggest weakness (after the fact that mere mortals
need not try to set it up!) Decoder quality is awesome as anyone can see
from playing DVDs, but the PVR series of tuners and encoders are terrible.
It's bad with straight video in from a STB (composite or s-video) and worse
with the tuner. You might not notice if you've never owned a commercial DVR
or DVD recorder but I have and the difference is dramatic.

Do we have any better choices for tuner/encoders yet?

Scott