[mythtv-users] Configuration for Australia

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 12 11:13:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 05:04:10PM +0800, Phil Wild wrote:
> > I think you want dvb-t cards for OZ, if that is any help.
> >
> Cool, That was kind of what I was expecting - good to know... Can
> anyone recommend a product that has been tested with mythtv and works
> well?

I've been successfully using two Leadtek WinFast DTV2000H cards. They
do both analog and digital, which is sometimes useful (VCR, radio, etc).
I also have a DTV1000 which works well too. I'm not using the remote
controls that came with these however, not sure if they work with Linux.

If you're in Sydney, this shop is pretty good:
http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/product/pdt_homepage.faces;jsessionid=1CA71188ACF1692C07D955182C88153D

> > go for an nvidia card (or motherboard with built in nvidia video
> > chipset), dual CPU, 3.0G or better.
>
> WOW! I was hoping for something light weight.... You can buy a popcorn
> hour for a couple of hundred and that plays hidef streams off of a
> media server etc or its internal hard drive. I didn't expect I would
> need such a beefy front end... What is all the grunt used for?

Playback of HD content requires a lot of CPU power. I never watch HD, so
I have an old Athlon Sempron 3000 (1.8ghz I think).  It does just fine
running as a combined backend/frontend, also serving NFS to several
other PCs in the house.

Also, for TV guide data in Australia, your best bet is Shepherd.
http://svn.whuffy.com/

Hope that helps.

---

James