[mythtv-users] Some problems with nuvexport

Marcus Larsson marcus.pr.larsson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:32:23 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I have some minor problems with nuvexport.

1. I live in sweden and I get a analog signal over a pvr-150 card with the
resolution 720x576. When the broadcast is in 16:9 format it lies within the
4:3 picture leaving big black borders at the top and bottom of the picture.
Within mythtv I can just push the key "w" into full mode and the picture
fits my 16:9 TV perfect. However when I want to export the movie with
nuvexport there is no option to "zoom" the picture. I found this setting in
my nuvexportrc file

#
# You can also override the output aspect ratio. This is useful in
# combination with crop_top=12.5 and crop_bottom=12.5 to remove the black
# bars from the top/bottom of recordings broadcast in fake widescreen.
#
# out_aspect = 16:9
#

Is this the correct way to convert my "false" 4:3 recording into 16:9 when i
export it?

2. I know that there are guides on this but they are pretty complicated. I
just want some answers based on experience. I want to convert my recordings
to XviD(Is this the best format). What settings are reasonable if I want to
keep my quality regarding to bitrate, resolution, noise reduction,
deinterlacing etc.

Thank you in advance!

Marcus