[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

Nick Bright boberz at thewatch.org
Tue Aug 12 12:06:38 UTC 2008

Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> I'm upgrading my backend /frontend combination and my new configuration consists of an Intel motherboard w/ 1066MHz bus and an Intel Core2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz) processor.
>
> The onboard Intel video is definitely not cutting it.  I have a PCI express slot that I can use.
>
> Obviously I'm still trying to keep prices down but I also need quality, so what's the lowest series of Nvidia card that I could get to have a good HD picture without using XvMC?  Also, how much memory should the card have?

Why wouldn't you want to use XvMC? I'm not trying to disparage you - I'm
curious. I haven't read anything negative about XvMC, but I've seen some
posts and pages mentioning not wanting to use it by a number of people.

If there's a good reason to not use XvMC, I'd really like to know what
it is so I can make an informed decision on using it in my setup.

I recently purchased a 7300GS specifically because beyond the 7xxx
series XvMC is no longer supported, it works quite well on SD content
but I'm still struggling to get any HD content to work (tuner problem,
not video card problem), so I can't comment on its' HD capabilities.

 - Nick