[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Channel Change Permission Denied

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 12:37:39 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 2008/8/12 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
>>> So instead of sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 I tried sudo chmod 666 /
>>> dev/
>>> ttyUSB0 and suddenly the mythtv user had permission to use the
>>> device. ??? Whatever. I just hope the box *never* reboots. ;)
>> simply modify/create a udev rule which will set the permission
>> properly when the device is initialised.
>>
>> Or more easily, add to /etc/rc.local
>> chown root:video /dev/ttyUSB*
>> chmod ug+rw /dev/ttyUSB*
>>
>> and add whatever user you're using to run mythmbackend to the video
>> group
>
> Yeah, I did the udev thing. Still no good.
>
> # USB serial converters
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GOTO="usb_serial_start"
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GOTO="usb_serial_start"
> GOTO="usb_serial_end"
> LABEL="usb_serial_start"
> ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", \
> 					MODE="0666", GROUP="mythtv"
>
> Still came up as root/dialup permissions. I've fought and fought with
> similar rules for my two video devices. Often they work, sometimes
> they don't. Depends on how lucky I am on the reboot.
>
> Again, setting ownership to mythtv didn't help at first, then all of a
> sudden did. Gremlins.

If you are testing this as the functionality as the backend daemon user, you
need to make sure that you are logged into that user itself.  In your above
examples, you were logging into the user you run the frontend as from what it looks.

Something like this will log you in as the daemon user:

sudo su mythtv

Remember, for mythbuntu the daemon user is only used for that purpose; daemons.
 Your regular user account is useful for testing things that are normally done
interactively such as using the frontend.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com