[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Tue Aug 12 16:02:55 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 9:19 am, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:14:45PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > On Aug 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Bobby Gill wrote:
> > > I'm just checking to be sure I am recording/watching at the highest
> > > quality my card can do (I know it's not the sweetest one but
> > > nevertheless hehe). I have a PVR-150 and under MPEG-2 encoders my
> > > default is using an MPEG-2 PS stream and 6000 bitrate. Does a higher
> > > bitrate = better quality (hd space not a concern) or is there a
> > > number on the scale where it maxes out and me setting it any higher
> > > is irrelevant? And is MPEG-2 PS the highest quality stream to set?
> >
> > I notice an improvement when setting mine higher than 6000. I think I
> > set mine around 8000. That being said...
>
>      In my experience, the main value of a higher bitrate for the
> incoming recordings has been for commerical flagging. At the lower
> bitrates I was not getting very good/accurate results. It wasn't
> until I bumped my PVR-150 recording bitrate from 6000 to 9000 that
> I got usable results from commercial flagging.

I have a pcHDTV 5500 tuner card. A previous post indicated that the bitrate
could be changed in mythfrontend go to Setup > TV settings > Recording
Profiles MPEG-2 Encoders. That page does not exist on my system. Can the
bitrate be set for the card I am using? What am I overlooking?

>      If not for the commflagging issue, I wouldn't bother with a
> setting over 6000. I transcode everything anyways.
>
> > Your source has a lot to do with what settings is appropriate. If you
> > have a nice clean source (like s-video from an STB), the higher the
> > better I think. If you are viewing over the air analog (for the next
> > few months) then lower bitrates might actually help smooth out some of
> > the static and improve the look of your video.
> >
> > Also, quality is subjective to some degree. The best advice I can give
> > is to bump it to the max, look at it, bring it down a bit, look at it
> > again, and keep doing it until you find a place where you're
> > comfortable saying, "This is the best quality I can get from this card/
> > source combo". It really only takes a few minutes.

RD Woodyard, Inc.