[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 12 16:40:02 UTC 2008

Nick Bright wrote:
> Why wouldn't you want to use XvMC? I'm not trying to disparage you - I'm
> curious. I haven't read anything negative about XvMC, but I've seen some
> posts and pages mentioning not wanting to use it by a number of people.

On my old VIA EPIA XvMC was useful and even essential.  However, I've
been less impressed with it on other systems.  On my desktop machine
with an nVIDIA GeForce 6200 card, enabling XvMC results in only a slight
reduction in processor usage (a few %) while degrading the picture
quality noticeably.  This is with SDTV, though, I don't have any HDTV
sources.