[mythtv-users] Some problems with nuvexport

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Aug 12 17:34:53 UTC 2008

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have some minor problems with nuvexport.
>
>1. I live in sweden and I get a analog signal over a pvr-150 card with the
resolution 720x576. When the broadcast is in 16:9 format it lies within the
4:3 >picture leaving big black borders at the top and bottom of the picture.
Within mythtv I can just push the key "w" into full mode and the picture
fits my
>16:9 TV perfect. However when I want to export the movie with nuvexport
there is no option to "zoom" the picture. I found this setting in my
nuvexportrc
>file

>#
># You can also override the output aspect ratio. This is useful in
># combination with crop_top=12.5 and crop_bottom=12.5 to remove the black
># bars from the top/bottom of recordings broadcast in fake widescreen.
>#
># out_aspect = 16:9
>#

>Is this the correct way to convert my "false" 4:3 recording into 16:9 when
i export it?

>2. I know that there are guides on this but they are pretty complicated. I
just want some answers based on experience. I want to convert my recordings
>XviD(Is this the best format). What settings are reasonable if I want to
keep my quality regarding to bitrate, resolution, noise reduction,
deinterlacing
>etc.

>Thank you in advance!

>Marcus

Marcus, you may need to modify your nuvexportrc file located in the /etc
directory. I am able to "chop" off the black lines from my widescreen
recordings by changing the line that says crop_pct = 0 to be four lines that
look like this:

   crop_top    = 12
   crop_right  = 0
   crop_bottom = 14
   crop_left   = 2

You may need to play with those numbers, as they are percentages of what to
crop. Then you need to adjust the width and heigh numbers to match, so for
example, if your original recording is 640x480, you need the transcoded
recording to be 98% of 640 for the width (because we took 2% off with
crop_left) and then 74% of the heigth (because we took 26% off with crop_top
and crop_bottom). So in my case, for a 640x480 recording, I transcode it
down to 624x368 (both numbers have to be divisable by 8). Also, in order to
get your width of 368, change the file from where it says width is auto to
the 368 number.

Alternatively, when you run nuvexport from the command line, you do not need
to change the actual nuvexportrc file if you just enter these numbers in
when running the program.

Hope that helps.
-Steve