[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 12 18:13:23 UTC 2008

>>> Quite frankly encoder quality for Myth sucks compared to Tivo or STB
>>> DVR
>>> appliances. It is Myth's biggest weakness (after the fact that mere
>>> mortals
>>> need not try to set it up!)

I disagree. A friend of mine has the Comcast DVR in HD and it
*completely* sucks. The quality is worse than what I get from the s-
video port from my HD DirecTV boxes. Also, a couple of years ago I
moved from Tivo to MythTV and my default settings were similar, but
when I increased my bitrate, the PVR-350 captures looked MUCH better
than Tivo's default settings.

>> Is this due to the state of Free Software not being able to implement
>> patented or otherwise encumbered algorithms or due to the consumer
>> grade hardware we have access to?
>
> It's a consumer grade hardware problem.

Or a configuration problem. (see above)

>>> Do we have any better choices for tuner/encoders yet?
>>
>> How does Myth do with processing content from an HDMI port?

There are no consumer capture devices that can handle content from
HDMI. HD-PVR from Hauppauge can grab from component and it looks
amazing - and nothing to do with MythTV. MythTV is software. Capture
cards are hardware.