[mythtv-users] Anyone else in Canada with HDTV on Myth?

Norm Dressler mlists at dressler.ca
Tue Aug 12 22:28:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 17:32 -0400, Bobby Gill wrote:
> Thanks Colin for that link, that's excellent (I'm in Brampton).
> However I noticed this:
>
> "To get any digital channels from Rogers in any form into your MythTV
> box you need a Rogers digital box, an IR blaster (that can mimic a
> Rogers digital box remote control) and a MythTV compatible analog
> tuner. The idea being that the IR blaster controls the Rogers box and
> you read the result via the analog card. This is not true HDTV but at
> present it is the only way to work things with Rogers HDTV. "
>
> My understanding in this area is pretty limited still so am I correct
> in saying that for me to get HDTV going here the best I can get is
> basically higher quality analog?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I have rogers and am using Firewire to get HD into my myth box.  Works
great the only issue I seem to have are channels that are in my package
that don't actually stream over firewire, like a local TV station.  I'm
in Ottawa but the set top boxes are the same here as in TO.

This device looks promising - http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html but last I checked it doesn't do AC3.

Norm