[mythtv-users] Mythbackend randomly dies

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkra at unnerving.org
Tue Aug 12 22:49:53 UTC 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> Oh and another option is to start out of inittab with a respawn
> statement, but that can be hard to stop! And occasionally you do need
> to stop mythbackend, to reconfigure cards or something.

I'm running myth on ubuntu (soon to migrate to a fresh install of
MythBuntu), and I use monit (http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/,
available from ubuntu via aptitude) to check that mythbackend is
running once every 30 seconds or so.

My monit config is basically:

-----
set daemon 30
set logfile syslog facility log_daemon

set mailserver my.mailserver.domain.tld
set mail-format { from: monit+mythhostname at domain.tld }
set alert my_email at domain.tld

check process mythbackend with pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start"
   stop program = "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop"
-----

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkade at unnerving.org>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu