[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Aug 12 23:37:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 18:16 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> [2008 Aug 12 13:15 -0500]:
>
> > There are no consumer capture devices that can handle content from
> > HDMI.
>
> So there is no way to use an HDMI output as a signal source.  Sad, and
> I'm not much interested in HD right now, but I'm looking toward the
> future.
>
> > HD-PVR from Hauppauge can grab from component and it looks
> > amazing - and nothing to do with MythTV. MythTV is software. Capture
> > cards are hardware.
>
> As I understand it, component video will be phased out in the future in
> favor of HDMI.  I wonder if there will be a way to capture from an HDMI
> source by that time.

You can buy a HDMI to component converter and then capture that.
i.e. the same converter everyone with an early HDTV will need to
buy if the cable companies get permission from the FCC to phase
out component outputs.

PS Satellite companies already can get rid of component out if
they want to, but they have not. My guess is this is a not in
the cards right now. HDMI is just too unreliable for TV. Besides
my local cable company tech's still haven't figured to hook up
component wires to a TV properly. With HDMI they would need to
do TV firmware updates in the field and they would need to make
multiple house calls for every TV where the HDMI handshake between
an STB and TV fails randomly, plus they would need to install
HDMI to component converters in a certain segment of homes,
adding to the install expense and tech training expense. For
cable companies HDMI is like firewire, it's on the box, but you
often need to summon a multitude of gods and daemons if you want
it to work reliably.

If for some reason internet video fails to displace the current
infrastructure, then in 5-10 years you may see HDMI (or more
likely a successor that actually works) begin to be phased in.
But it's impossible to make predictions that far out, for all
we know PATRIOT ACT V will make DRM illegal by then.

-- Daniel