[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Aug 13 01:05:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> Nick Bright wrote:

>>> I'm using a 7300GT and have XvMC enabled, and my OSD is in color...
>>>
>>> nick at mythtv:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Motion
>>> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>>>
>>>  - Nick
>>
>> I thought if you didn't have a B&W display, you didn't have XvMC -- that it
>> didn't load.  How do you know that XvMC is working?
>>
>> Allen
>>

> oops,  answered.  Never mind..

This might be useful.  It is my understanding that XvMC support is
available on Pure Video cards.  Here is a list:
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf

Also, my daughter just got a clone built by a top notch clone builder.
 I am very impressed with the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083

A little more money but the heat sink is impressive to say the least.
It is an 8600GT, which is listed and should have XvMC support although
it is in a Vista machine so I can't prove it.

Allen