[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Wed Aug 13 02:48:34 UTC 2008

* Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> [2008 Aug 12 18:46 -0500]:
> On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > * Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> [2008 Aug 12 13:15
> > -0500]:
> >
> >> There are no consumer capture devices that can handle content from
> >> HDMI.
> >
> > So there is no way to use an HDMI output as a signal source.
>
> I didn't say there was no way. I said there are no "consumer" capture
> devices.
> If you spend enough money you can do anything you want. ;)

That's true in just about any endeavor.

> The other disadvantage is that you get uncompressed high-def signal
> which isn't very practical for use in a PVR environment - something in
> the neighborhood of 400 - 675 GB per hour. So if you want to write a
> driver and buy a 1TB drive for every 1 hour program you record AND
> make sure the content you're recording has no digital copy protection
> on it, go right ahead. :)

Ahhh, thanks for that tidbit of information.  That really puts HD into
perspective.

> Over the air is the best option. Best quality, reasonable data rates
> and free - aside from the cost of a digital tuner which can be
> anywhere up to $169 for a dual tuner box like the HD Home Run.

Someday I hope to get to try that.  For now I'm living in a valley
about 100km from the nearest DTV transmitter, so OTA isn't much of an
option.

> That sounds like information from someone trying to sell HDMI
> equipment.

It was, of course, as that is mostly what Google turns up.

> I only have 1 HDMI connector on my TV and I *hate* using it
> because the audio that comes out of it is terrible and I have sync
> issues with it on 1080p combined with high-motion. I've never had
> these issues with component video.

Thanks for your testimonial.

> P.S. I'm sorry I wrote so much about high-def video because this
> thread is about PVR-150 quality/bitrates and this discussion belongs
> in other threads and has been discussed to death in those other threads.

Well. I should apologize as I hijacked it into this direction.  But, on
topic threads are boring.  ;-)  I'll admit that I've ignored video
stuff until I started playing with Myth two weeks ago.  As far as I'm
concerned, my PVR-150 works very well for my purposes which is as a
replacement for my 1993 vintage Magnavox VCR.  I learned many new
things from this thread that I can apply and I thank all of you.

- Nate >>