[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 03:47:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to play back some content captured with a Hauppauge HD-PVR on my
> AMD 64 X2 4400+.
> I see that I should be able to play back according to this
> list http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD_Playback_Reports
>
> When my first attempt on F8 didn't work (I wasn't getting audio with
> ATrpms), I upgraded to Mythbuntu. I get audio now, but still choppy playback
> at best. Then I bought CoreAVC, installed it and compiled MythTV with the
> patch for it. I can verified it's being used, but still no smooth playback.
> I'm seeing dshowserver using about 138% of my CPU and mythfrontend using the
> rest with pauses about every second.
>
> So I guess my question is can whomever is getting this to work please post
> your approximate CPU usage so I know what I should expect and then I can try
> to figure out why it's not working for me.

My main frontend is a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz running
fedora 8 and a debug build of SVN trunk.  During playback of an recording from
an HD channel top shows that one core seems to stay at 60% or below and the
other about 30%.  No CoreAVC or anything special.