[mythtv-users] OT: Mac OSX Simple Cutting

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 06:57:17 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 10:51 PM, belcampo wrote:

> Jon Bishop wrote:
>> So, I have the opening ceremonies for the olympics, but I failed to
>> remove the commercials before copying it to my powerbook g4 1.33. I
>> already transcoded the 21gb HD video down to a 3.5gb xvid recording,
>> so quicktime pro won't open it. I was wondering if the mac users out
>> there have a good suggestion for a cheap, simple program to use to
>> cut
>> the commercials (which I have to go in and manually mark) out, and
>> possibly break this file into several smaller files, so I can place
>> it
>> on CDs (yea, I know, just use a DVD... too bad my dvd burner is in
>> storage, and inaccessible for the time being)
>>
>> I have Quicktime pro, Final Cut Studio, ffmpegX, MPEG Streamclip and
>> VisualHub. I don't have iMovie (though I have the install disk
>> somewhere, also in storage) installed, so other suggestions are
>> welcome. Otherwise I'll be converting it to a Quicktime compatible
>> format and using QT to cut it apart. I'd rather not do that. Thanks.
>>
>> ~Jon
> I'm no OSX user, but ffmpeg runs on OSX and could be used something
> like
> this.
> ffmpeg -ss starttime -t till -i source.??? -vcodec copy -acodec copy
> -f
> ??? resulting.???

I haven't tried using the command line. ffmpegX is a gui that uses
ffmpeg or mencoder to do conversion. I guess that would work. I was
hoping for something that I could use a timeline to mark the cutpoints
(similar to how the mythfrontend editor works). Something that works
like virtualdub for windows...