[mythtv-users] Recordings on smb nas and MythWeb

Shawn Flynn sflynn1 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 13 14:56:41 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote on August 12, 2008 6:26 PM:
> Jonas Urth Olsen wrote:
> > Gabe Rubin wrote:
> >> Mythweb won't display the thumbnails if you mount as as CIFS shares;
> >> you will need to mount it as a NFS share to gain this functionality.
>
> > Anybody know why?, the nas doesn't support nfs, so I can't use that.
>
> I ran into this just a few weeks ago and spent a couple of frustrated
> hours on it before tracking down the right bug reports.
>
> There's a bug in the Linux CIFS driver that's triggered by Apache when
> it tries to send images.  You can work around it by adding the following
> to your Apache server configuration:
>
> EnableSendfile off
>
> This should probably go in a MythWeb FAQ somewhere, but I'm not sure
where.

Excellent find. Your google-fu is stronger than mine. When I searched soon
after 0.21 came out, all I could find was an explanation as to what the
problem was (a bug in linux CIFS that was exposed by the uPnP code used by
mythweb). I could not find a work-around for it other than "use nfs
instead."

This question seems to come up often enough that I would think the best spot
to document it would be right in the Mythweb README. I'd be happy to write a
doc patch against the current README if somebody would be willing to test it
for me. I don't have access to an smb share for my recordings anymore, so I
can't fully test the changes.

Shawn Flynn