[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

Robert McNamara iamlindoro at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 15:44:39 UTC 2008

A 4400+, at 2.3 Ghz, is going to be woefully inadequate for playing back
anything but the lowest bitrate samples from the HD-PVR.  The HD Playback
reports page doesn't include any references to playing back HD-PVR recorded
content, so I'm not sure which you meant from there.  The HD-PVR records
h.264 without slices, which presently cannot be multithreaded or offloaded
in any way in Linux.  That is to say, you will be limited to the oomph of a
single 2.3 Ghz processor in Linux with the 4400+ while playing HD-PVR
content.
To give some anecdotal evidence, the people who are able to more or less
play back the HD-PVR stuff without modification are doing so with Core 2
Duos at 3.0 Ghz or higher.  Even then, it can be dicey.  The C2Ds are faster
clock for clock than the AMDs, so the AMD clock speed would need to be
higher still.  You can get away with lower processor by using things like
CoreAVC, and there are substantial improvements to libavcodec in the
pipeline, but the short answer for now is I wouldn't expect much success
with that processor.  You can try CoreAVC but it may still be a bit too
slow.

Robert