[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and 0.21: any way to add it as a capture card?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Aug 13 16:26:28 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Bob Sully wrote:
>
>> Is there any way I can configure this to work other than changing
>> over to
>> SVN/trunk?  I'd really rather not, since everything else is now
>> working
>> well.  If not, about how long (guess-timate) am I looking at before
>> the
>> changes will be made available to the packagers?
>
> You have three choices:
>
> 1. Run SVN with at least the version that contains HD-PVR support
> 2. Download a more stable version and manually patch it with HD-PVR
> support. (This is guaranteed to be much more difficult than option 1)
> 3. Wait for the next stable version of MythTV. (No one knows when this
> will be.)
>
> Almost forgot Number 4 which is that many packagers now supply weekly
> builds from trunk so you could switch over to that. Still not stable,
> but at least you don't have to compile yourself.
>
> -Brad

Brad:

I figured that was the case but figured that it couldn't hurt to ask.  I
don't have any problems compiling, but hate to mess with an otherwise
stable, 98%-working Myth setup (I'm still having a few issues with LCDd
and getting a remote set up; the latter is more out of laziness on my part
than anything else).

Hopefully I won't have to wait for 0.22.  However, the packagers for
Mandriva aren't nearly as zealous about issuing updated packages (the last
one, the one that I'm running now, is about 4 months old).  Oh, well.  I
suppose that if worst comes to worst I can run a script in a cron job to
change the channel on the STB, directly record the .TS file, then kill the
"cat" process!

I do have a couple of free partitions on the boot drive onto which I was
thinking about installing Ubuntu 8.04 running Fluxbox or WindowMaker, then
adding in the Mythbuntu packages.  Can anyone tell me how often those Myth
packages get updated?

Thanks
Bob