[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

Robert McNamara iamlindoro at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 16:38:50 UTC 2008

Hi Brad,
Apologies, didn't see the first few messages in this topic until you pointed
me at them, so I got it a little out of context.  Up to speed now.  In fact,
thought you were a responder rather than the OP.  Anyway, what I was getting
at was the even *with* CoreAVC, the 4400+ may be too slow.  CoreAVC will
multithread this content, indeed, but it will do so much better with the
1080i captures than the 720p ones.  Reason being, it appears to put the
deinterlace in one thread, and the decode in another, still limiting decode
to a single thread (and thus, to a single processor).  The 138% you're
seeing is likely 100% decode on a single processor, and 38% deinterlace on a
second. That's just a guess based on my experience and on helping folks in
#hdpvr, but it's been borne out thus far.

The slowest proc I've gotten things working smoothly on w/ CoreAVC had been
a C2D @ 2.4 Ghz, which is slightly faster clock-for-clock than the 4400+.
 Even then, I see the occasional skip and freeze.  My experience with it has
also been that 1080i plays back much better w/ CoreAVC than 720p.  If you're
on 720, you might give 1080i a shot and be pleasantly surprised.  If not,
you may need just a bit more oomph.

For reference, I put the link on the HD-PVR page pointing at the HD Playback
reports page because I want it fleshed out with more HD-PVR information-- it
just hasn't gotten there yet.  I ought to add my own experiences to help
others, just haven't gotten around to it.

Robert