[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Wed Aug 13 16:48:16 UTC 2008

> > Hmm, dunno why the list truncated my last message.  Last bit was...
> >
> > From experience, and speaking as someone who has been working with
> > the HD-PVR and the recordings made by it from the very earliest
> > days, anything less than that is going to have trouble at the
> > maximum capture bitrate.  This has been the experience across the
> > board of those of us working with the HD-PVR in linux.  John or
> > Janne may be able to add their voices to this discussion, but as
> > we've all being experiencing the same, and have seen the same in
> > dealing with most of the HD-PVR users in linux thus fair, I think
> > it's fair to trust our experience.  It's tough to let go of the
> > notion that resolution and bitrate are the primary factors in
> > playback ease, as this has been generally true for a long time.  The
> > HD-PVR, however, is a great illustrator of the fact that with modern
> > codecs, encoding options have just as much, if not far more bearing
> > on playability.
>
> I guess the point of this thread is what speed processor do I need to
> upgrade to in order to get playback of 720p content recorded from my
> HD-PVR. Frankly, I'm about ready to put it on ebay since using the
> damned thing means I have to get rid of every single frontend I have
> along with using an unstable version of MythTV. No fun - especially
> since I can't even get mine to work right now in Windows, let alone
> Linux. I think I have a defective unit. Waiting to hear back from
> support after trying their suggestions. I'm really sorry I bought it.

was it a 2nd gen one or 1st gen unit? 2nd gens actually have a working
blue light on top when they record.  If its 1st gen and you havent
sent it back for fixing you should. I sent my first unit back, not
sure what all they did to it, but it works flawlessly now.
my 2nd unit has the blue light on it and I actually kind of like it.