[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 17:42:31 UTC 2008

Hi

2008/8/14 Robert McNamara <iamlindoro at aol.com>:
> Like I explained before, the HD-PVR uses encoding options that are
> *substantially* more difficult to play than any other h.264 we have
> encountered before.  It is far far far harder to play than, for example, a
> 40 Mbit/s h.264 ripped straight from a Blu-ray disk.  The primary reason for
> the difficulty, as I have already mentioned, is that the HD-PVR encodes
> single sliced, making it presently impossible to multithread the playback
> under Linux.
> So, once more for clarification:
> A 13.5 Mbit/s HD-PVR capture = single sliced, PAFF + Spatial Direct mode,
> complex encoding options.  Uses only one core, 3.0 or so Ghz needed without
> CoreAVC.
> A 40 Mbit/s Blu-ray rip = Usually multiple slices, no PAFF, simple encoding
> options.  Multithreadable, usually a 2.2-2.4 Ghz Dual core is more than
> enough.

Thank you for your great explanations. I admit that I didn't read the
whole discussion and only jumped in ; so I apologise if I gave you the
impression of doubting your word.

I'm considering if it would be worth adding a bluray drive to my mac
mini frontend (C2D 1.83GHz) ; do you think its processor will cope
with playing bluray rip ?
Would the 2GHz do it ?

Thanks
JY